Sunday, January 20, 2008

90's Select Aged Nan Tou Oolong

Hou De tossed in this thoughtful extra sample in with my recent order, and today I tackled it after having spent some time honing my oolong skills.

Based on the description attached to the sample, it's apparently been roasted about as far as an oolong needs to be roasted, and aged to a state of sublime mellowness.

I dumped all of the several grams in the sample into a 10-ounce porcelain tea pot, gave it a several-second boiling rinse, and then a quick first infusion.

It was fragrant, but in a way that suited me. The color was dark and visually striking. And the flavor was good in a general, indefinable way.

The second infusion spoke up with a bit more of a voice, which I find is often the case (particularly when the initial infusion is quick).

There's nothing perfumey about this tea, although it does offer a real fragrance. The flavor has a certain complexity I appreciated, with no one layer of flavor dominating the cup.

I would like to try more oolongs like this, and will keep my eyes peeled.

No comments: