Saturday, February 9, 2008

new pu'erh order

I've been looking at my meager collection of pu'erh samples and decided to splurge last night on a wide range of ages, because I've been a Very Good Boy.

I went to Hou De Asian Art & Fine Teas and bought, in chronological order:

  • 70's Chun-Cha "Jian Tie" Simplified-font Iron Cake, 10g sample
  • Late 80's Meng Hai 8972 Brick, Uncooked 10g sample
  • ** Tasting Set ** Chen Guang-He Tang 99 YiWu & 2001 Meng Sa
  • 2005 Jiang Chen Factory "Gu Shu Cha Wang" Beeng, 1oz
  • 2006 2nd SouthEast Asia Puerh Trade Memorial Cake, Uncooked 1oz
  • 2007 "5th Intern'l Aged Puerh Appreciation" Memorial cake, 1oz

When it comes to pu'erh, I usually refer to sheng, one of two major varieties. Younger sheng tends to be more astringent (a good thing, in my book) and floral.

Older sheng develops these complex layers of flavor, tending to be more mellow, woody, fruity, etc. The complexity can continue to develop over years and decades.

Personally, I like both.

1 comment:

Salsero said...

I have had the 70's Chun-Cha "Jian Tie" and the 80's Meng Hai 8972 sitting around since April of last year. I guess I have been a little intimidated by them. Let me know when you get to yours or when you're about to get to them and I will taste mine and compare notes with you.