Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Bi Luo Chun Hong Cha from Teaspring

Last night I came home to my long-awaited shipment from Teaspring!

So this morning I was able to start my work day with some Bi Luo Chun Hong Cha, a welcome change of pace from the green tea I've been drinking to the near exclusion of other teas for the last several months.

I figured Teaspring's brewing suggestions were bogus based on the fact that they say to start out with 212°F water and increase temperature with subsequent infusions (For the science-disinterested, that's not exactly something easily done in the average kitchen.)

So I measured out a rounded, but not heaping, spoon of leaf weighing in at 4.8 grams into my preheated yixing pot. I didn't rinse the tea, as this isn't that kind, but made the first infusion really short to err on the side of caution. (Every now and again you can destroy a perfectly good cup of tea on the first infusion if you try hard enough.)

The color, flavor, and aroma were much to my liking, but I decided longer infusions were in order.

Most of my infusions were probably in the 30-second range, but I guesstimated instead of using a timer.

I eventually lost count of the number of infusions, but kept it coming until early afternoon. The tea prevailed!

This is a great little black to shove in your tea hole.

3 comments:

Brent said...

"...not exactly something easily done in the average kitchen."

Au contraire, mon ami! Bwahahahaha. (Watch the video linked from that page.)

Thanks for the review,

Brent

Wallknocker said...

Are you sure that doesn't actually kinda confirm my point? heh

Salsero said...

"lost count of the number of infusions" = my kind of tea! Sounds good Padre. Thanks for the review.