Saturday, October 4, 2008

An Ji Bai Cha from TeaSpring

An Ji Bai Cha

I've been making infusions of this one on and off since early this morning, never quite topping 180° F and varying the times from "vaguely over a minute" to "just over a minute and a half" with good, consistent results in a preheated kyusu.

A few random notes:

Very light aroma.

Clear liquid with the insinuation of yellow.

Not nearly as heavy on the palate as a lot of the good chinese green I've had this year. Lacks the buttery taste of many of those same teas.

This is a good tea to loudly slurp (OK, maybe not in the office during normal hours) to get a fuller sense of it.

According to the vendor, "Research found that the tea plant has low chlorophyll and polyphenols content (which explains the whitish-green tea leaves) but is very rich in amino acids. It has almost twice the amount comparing to other green teas. Amino acid helps suppress cortisol and reduces stress."

I can't confirm the scientific content, but I have found this to be a relaxing tea on a stressful day.

4 comments:

Salsero said...

You are such a trailblazer! I think I will have to try some of this stuff. I love teas you can re-brew all day because I hate having to decide what to make next.

Now there are three things I have never tried on my TeaSpring shopping list:
En Shi Yu Lu
Huangshan Mao Feng
An Ji Bai Cha

Wallknocker said...

Shoot, if not for your influence, I'd probably still be making cheap genmai in pyrex measuring cups!

heh

Salsero said...

And no one else has ever done that, before or since, with such amazing panache!

Wallknocker said...

Now that's a compliment I'll gladly take. :D