Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sencha Den

I'm currently enjoying a cup of Sencha Den, a sencha blend from Den's Tea sold only in a 3.5 ounce vacuum-sealed tin.

It's not as intense as some of the other senchas I usually enjoy (Fukamushi and O-Cha's Miyabi), but I'm loving it already.

The smell when I first broke the seal was complex and suggestive. It made me want to get right on with the preparations for tea.

I disregarded the brewing instructions on the side of the container and used a level teaspoon of leaf in 4 oz of water just under 180* in a preheated kyuusu for about a minute.

The color was bright yellow with just a whisper of green tint and very clear.

The taste was not explosive, but full, fresh, and bright. A sensation of coolness filled my mouth, throat, and entire torso by the time I finished the cup.

It was then that I noticed the most outstanding feature. Prior to brewing, I had felt exhausted and lethargic due to work stress and lack of good sleep for days. In a span of several minutes, though, I felt great. Not hyper, or giddy, but just plain good.

For the second cup, I brewed for a full 45 seconds, and the color remained in the bright yellow range, but more dense.

The flavor remained fresh and interesting, and about half-way through the cup I decided to start this entry while the impressions are fresh on my palate.

One of the TeaChat guys asked (repeatedly) if I detect tinny or woody flavors, presumably based on some previous experience of his. I haven't noticed these yet, but it's late in the day, and my palate may be too exhausted to pick out something I may well notice in the morning.

I'll keep an eye out for both the good and the bad. So far, though, my impression is that this is a good tea for the price, and I look forward to more tomorrow.

2 comments:

Salsero said...

Has there been a face-lift? I felt like I accidentally wandered into an upscale neighborhood instead your previous digs.

I looked this tea up at the Den's site to get the price ($15 for 100 grams) and love the can it comes in. The site says it is first flush. O-Cha's Shizzy Daily Sencha (which I have had and enjoyed) is "second harvest" at $11. Den's describes Sencha Den as "woodsy" and recommends brewing at 160°F. I wonder if this cooler brewing temperature would kill that sensation of coolness. I would be quite curious to know how it tastes at the cooler temp. The attractive tin makes the tea even more tempting, although from a practical standpoint I like bags that I can squeeze the air out of when I close them.

So much sencha, so little time! Thanks for sharing this review fresh off the experience.

Wes Crosswhite said...

:)