Saturday, March 22, 2008

Mighty Leaf Dragonwell Tasting

Mighty Leaf sent me several samples recently, and the Shincha sample impressed (see recent sencha post), so I've been looking forward to hitting the Dragonwell.

The leaf had a good appearance, looking colorful and vaguely healthy. Eyeball measurement told me I should be able to have at least 2 sessions with it.

This morning I gave it what I consider a standard dragonwell treatment: infuse one teaspoon (not heaping, but all that cares to come out on the spoon) in preheated kyusu at 170° for a hair over two and a half minutes.

The resulting brew came out bright yellow and inviting, with a pleasant aroma.

The first sip was immediately flavorful. Some dragonwell is more subtle, and some just doesn't work out, but this was just plain good. During part of the first cup, I had some oatmeal with dried peaches (hey, don't knock it), and find myself thinking this tea has good prospects as a breakfast tea. (Haven't tried it with huevos con chorizo yet, so the final verdict is out!)

I bumped the heat up to 180° for the second steep, but was unable to make detailed tasting notes due to having just inhaled it. But it takes a good tea to inspire such an attack, so add points for this aspect of the tasting experience.

The third cup is mellow and pleasant, capping off an enjoyable session.

Follow-up edit:
I had initially entitled this "Tasting 1" but was thwarted in my attempt at a second tasting. I broke it out earlier this week for a second session at the office, but construction workers came by and started painting. The potent chemicals in the air completely wrecked the entire session and made me rather violently ill.

I'll have to sum up by recommending this as a perfectly good dragonwell for anyone on the cusp of trying it and looking for an excuse. I liked it.

2 comments:

Hobbes said...

Is "Mighty Leaf" the company with the charming black ziploc bags, covered in excellent Chinese calligraphy?

Thanks for the review, and toodlepip,

Hobbes

Wallknocker said...

The samples they sent me didn't look like that, but what they sent me were what I might call "tasting samples" and probably not in their standard packaging.

http://www.mightyleaf.com/ is their URL.