Friday, March 28, 2008

Mighty Leaf Deep Roast Sencha

When rummaging through my stash for some weekend review ideas last night, I stumbled on this little gem. I hadn't tried it for the same reasons I haven't been doing many review tastings at all lately: office construction and illness. (Between the two, I've had few chances to really appreciate the subtleties of unfamiliar quality teas lately.)

When I first saw this one, I was honestly a bit puzzled. Other roasted teas I've seen have been brown, and this is a rich, deep green. Plus, steamed sencha is all the rage among my fanatical sencha clique. I didn't really know what to expect.

It turned out to be essentially indistinguishable from a good fukamushi in my book, which I consider a good thing. It's got more of a kick, I feel, than the same vendor's Shincha, which I found robust and yummy.

The first steep, like those of its deep steamed cousins, was the "wake up" infusion, flavorful in comparison with other greens, but nothing compared to the awesome payload of flavor administered in subsequent infusions.

I took a pic of the second infusion, which lasted literally only a few seconds:



My camera just doesn't do justice to the green teas I love, but perhaps you can see why some of us invoke the name of Kermit the Frog in reference to this class of teas.

I loved the flavor of this and following infusions. And, also like a fukamushi, I received a caffeine rush of biblical proportions.

Wow, was this tea good. I give it two muppets up.

No comments: