Saturday, August 23, 2008

Late 80's Meng Hai 8972 Brick Uncooked (from Hou De)

According to Hou De, this is a "blend of early 80s and late 80's leaves" produced "1989~early '90s".



I preheated my trusty yixing pot and rinsed 3.6 g of brick. The rinse was as clean a rinse as I've ever seen.

I didn't pull out the clock for this session, but thumbnailed my infusion timing.

The first steep was pretty highly aromatic, with a scent that gave me a better idea of what shu-producers must be shooting for. Only this didn't have the funk and gunk I normally associate with even good shu.



The second infusion was mellower, less aromatic, and seemed very well-balanced. The third has continued this trend.

I'm sipping this tea for breakfast, and I think that may be an ideal application for it. Historically, I've found many breakfast teas to be way too aromatic and heavy, but this is closer to the sweet spot.

I have enough left for a few more sessions, fortunately, and look forward to them. I may take these to the office for good day-starters.

1 comment:

Salsero said...

Nice review. I never thought of costy aged sheng as breakfast tea, but why not!

I found my sample reminiscent of some lighter yan cha. I lost track of my infusions, but guesstimated after the fact that they approached 20.