Sunday, March 30, 2008

Mighty Leaf Kyoto Rice

Genmai cha is a Japanese green tea with roasted rice kernels (some of which pop like popcorn during the process) historically said to have been an innovation of people who could not afford the luxury of costly tea without introducing rice as a filler.

Some modern people, myself included, drink genmai cha not for economic reasons, but because we enjoy the aroma, color, flavor, and (for some people) reduced caffeine it offers. I have not verified that it is less caffeinated in any scientific way, but it makes sufficient sense for me not to question it.

Kyoto Rice is Mighty Leaf's branding of this traditional infusion. I have enjoyed a few cups now, brewed in the neighborhood of 170° F for 2.5 minutes or so, and find it quite satisfying.

When I enjoy genmai cha (which I have done for years now), I look for certain signature traits. The aroma should be pleasant and inviting. The infusion should be an insanely bright yellow. It should settle in my stomach in a warm, soothing way. The texture should be like a liquid interpretation of satin.

Kyoto Rice meets all these standards. But the sample I received did not seem to contain any dust or other tiny particles that can soil an otherwise good cup of genmai cha. I hope this is the case for all of their Kyoto Rice, because when a vendor sends me dusty genmai, it consistently produces an inferior cup of tea.

Although I prefer to prepare cups of no more than 4 oz. of most teas, a good genmai cha is one you can make by the cup or mug full and enjoy with a meal or snack.

Like most genmai cha I've enjoyed, Kyoto Rice was good for a second infusion. I don't generally go for a third with this type, because I find that after the combined infusion time of a few cups, diminishing returns may be noted. But this is something of a casual observation, and I encourage you to find your own happy place with this fine and versatile beverage.

No comments: